Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Kenya Dig it?

Dear Friends and Family,
This past Saturday, the Kibera Church hosted a VBS day for all the children who go to the school, church, or live in the community. It was such a success! We had around 215 children that showed up. And those who knew me were so happy to see me. Mark, my team leader and I were on the story telling committee and we told the story of Noah’s Ark. Those kids just ate it up. They loved hearing about it, and asked questions about it. It was really fun! Then on sunday, Travis did the sermon. And it was the first time all summer I heard an English sermon. I’ll never take it for granted again. Travis did a great job talking about James 1, and I think all the people liked it.
This morning was a little rough for me. I woke up to make breakfast at 6:20 am, and I get there, and one of the women who is living with us was there ready to help me. Except that instead of helping me, she critiqued everything I did. And everything I did was wrong and needed fixing. What I wanted to make for the group was scrambled egg sandwiches. But that wasn’t on the menu for today’s breakfast. I’m not going to rant about this, but the Lord, through in my sin of thinking I have patience and love towards people, said “you don’t.” Because the whole time she was correcting me, I was not loving. I was not patient. I was upset, frustrated and hurt. And that’s my sin just messing up my life. Thank goodness I have a God who is so eager to forgive.
Yesterday, we went to a legit Kenyan market. Us girls were given money and a shopping list and we went out ready to bargain. It was such an experience! I loved it because everything smelled so fresh and natural compared to Publix. I was told how beautiful I am on several occasions, and that just made me feel so much better about myself. :) But it was good for me to get out of my zone, and see how the real Kenyans shop. We bought carrots, peas, green plants, and a ton of fresh fruits.
I don’t have a lot to say about this blog, which is kinda weird. There hasn’t been a lot that has happened since I last posted. Some of us are getting head colds and coughs. We’re half way done with our trip, and none of us are really happy about that. I know for me that I really want to stay here, and just have all my friends come here and visit. Kenya is beautiful and the ministry is just so needed. Hands are needed to serve and hearts are needed to love. The children have captured my heart and all I want to hold them and laugh with them.
Keep on praying friends. The Lord is all we have here.

In Christ,
Virginia Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment