Friday, June 3, 2011

June 2, 2011

What a week it has been!

Monday we worked on the land and gardened. The girls also learned how to wash clothes, clean the bathrooms, clean our rooms as well as the common rooms and kitchen, and continuing to learn how to cook Kenyan food. The boys started working on construction for the home for rescued girls. We watched as Jacob fell into a giant hole, and how Lauren uses a shovel. We were throughly exhausted by the end of the day.

Tuesday we went into the slum and were assigned the two different jobs we’ll work on for the rest of the summer. Some of us will be teaching children and others will be serving the adults with AIDS. As we were touring each of the classrooms, I knew that’s what I wanted to do but I didn’t know if I would be able to. Turns out, one of the grades wanted me to teach them so I get to teach little first graders with a wonderful assistant teacher! I walked into the classroom and just prayed that I could teach this little group and the Lord heard me. Next week will be my trial week but soon, I’ll be teaching them on my own, without the main teacher. My first day begins this coming Tuesday! Tuesday was also the day we got to go to the Java House and update online.

Wednesday was the Kenyan National Independence Day so we slept in! It was amazing what a few extra hours will do for one’s body and mental health. Instead of going into the slum though, we went to the girl’s home where we tutored them and played with them. I think they’re really starting to open up with us because according to our Pastor’s wife, “after day 1, we’re family” . :)

Thursday we traveled to a slightly nicer slum and the sister-church to ours. We worked with the school and the kids that go there, and we got to walk through the slum. It really was probably the most beautiful slum I’ve ever seen. Full of flowers and beauty, wild-life and corn and waterfalls and cliffs. It was gorgeous.

Today! Today is Friday which means I’m currently on my free day. Today we’re going to this huge market/store that holds everything anyone could ever want or desire. Food, wifi, clothes, stuff...also, any American thing you could want is there too. We’ll also be cooking only American food for ourselves since it’s Fun-Friday!


Since I last posted, I mentioned that I wanted to trust God more than I do. I want to be able run to Him before I run to anyone else. I’ve also been praying that the Lord would break my heart for what breaks his. And on Thursday, that happened. I won’t go into details since this is a personal story for a child and it’s online, but basically, the whole team is struggling with this current situation. A child, around the age of 8, tried to walk from the slum to where we are living because of how terrible his current home situation is. However, because we are not his legal guardians, he couldn’t stay with us overnight. We all know and believe that the Lord is good and his will is perfect. But when bad, and terrible things happen to either us or those around us, it’s really difficult to believe it. I think that God is showing me how to trust him. What was the first thing I did when I realized the child couldn’t stay with us, besides cry? I worried. What’s going to happen to him? What can I do to help? Where shall this child go? I worry so much about so many things that I can’t control. I doubt that God can work tough situations out if I can’t either. However, what is getting me through this tonight is knowing that God is still all powerful and all wise and all knowing. In the book of Job, how many times did the Lord allow terrible things to happen to him? So many terrible things! And yet, He was still there, and just as powerful and strong enough to tell the devil when that was enough. While none of us are happy with this situation, we all are remembering the Lord is strong and mighty.


Also, one of the most rewarding things I’ve been able to experience is working with the girls in their home. Most of these girls have been rescued out of seriously terrible situations and have been placed in the most loving home I can see. They have learned how to cook, clean, wash their clothes, and other home responsibilities. They also have been able to challenge themselves academically and learn more things than I ever learned in school. Most of them have really high expectations for themselves after school, like musicians, lawyers, or nurses. It took a few some time to open up to us, and that’s ok. But now, we’re family, and they giggle and laugh when we try to speak Swahili. They make fun of us and trick us into saying funny things. They all have so much spunk, and life that just being around them brings a smile to my face. I wish you all could meet these girls, because you would be able to see exactly what I’m trying to say. Their love for the Lord is clear, and they’re not ashamed of him. He rescued them from pain and constant fear. I hope someday to have the same kind of faith like they do. Faith like a child.


I hope everyone is doing well! Summer and the hot season has begun, I’m assuming in the States, so everyone be careful and stay hydrated :) Right now, it feels like it’s 68, and winter. Ironically, it is winter here and it cracks me up to hear the Kenyan children complaining about the weather. I love and miss everyone and I’ll post another blog just as soon as I can!


In Christ alone,

Virginia

1 comment:

  1. Aw it's great to hear from you Virginia! I'm so excited for you guys and we're praying for you continually. Love you!

    ReplyDelete