Monday, May 16, 2011

1 week!

We're at a week people!! Just one little week till I leave for the trip of my life. Also, another important thing happens in a week: I turn 21! Unfortunately, I won't really be able to celebrate until after I come back. But that's ok. My birthday has always fallen on weird days. Last week of school, last day of school, the coolest was graduating on my birthday. Talk about twisted. In the rush and craziness of high school graduation, I almost forgot that that day I turned 19. So, next monday will be no different. I'll celebrate with those people with me. :) Everything is flexible in my life.
On the topic of Kenya, for those following this blog who are supporting me we have news of where we are staying officially. See, 4 years ago, I went to Kenya and stayed in this sweet little convent that was run by nuns and a priest. It was gorgeous. Here is a picture of the section where I stayed. If I ever woke up earlier than I needed to, you could hear the nuns singing early in the morning. It was the most beautiful sound to wake up to.



Now, this is where I assumed I would be living this summer. And I was so confident in this that I was not doubting anything or anywhere else. And of course, this is not where I will be staying for the summer. There is a new head nun, and she is changing the rules. So, this summer, me and the 8 other interns will be staying in cabins on a piece of land where we will be building a home for rescued women. It was consist of cabins, sorta, and one will be for the men and the other for the women. There will be a small kitchen, small bathroom, and a common area. In the first couple of weeks, Kenyan women will help teach us how to wash our clothes, and cook food for ourselves. Whew. This is completely and totally not what I was expecting. But that's ok. Because at the end of this trip, I'll know how to cook!
So that's what I know right now. Packing is slow, but coming together. I have all the little american snack that I can take and I probably need one more trip to walmart or target to get the rest of my things like bug-spray, sunscreen and socks. But we only ave 7 days left!!! The summer of my life is about to start!! Lord help me get there! :)

1 comment: